Thursday, November 10, 2011

Science Fair Proposal

1) The mass of the wooden bokken is directly proportional to the amount of  force it inflicts.
2)  Dependent: Amount of force done by the sword.
Independent: Type of wood that will be used.
Control: Height the sword will be dropped at.
3) This experiment pertains to my EQ because to be a successful aikido practitioner you need training. When you train with weapons you want to make sure that you get a strong, well made bokken or jo. I am going to be finding which bokken is the strongest; thus showing which bokken is best for training.
4) I will buy a number of bokkens, each made from a different kind of wood. Then I will be testing the strength of the wood with a vernier force plate (it measures, in Newtons, how much force was applied on the plate). The sword will be attached to a pole, probably with some sort of string; I will bring the sword up to a certain height, and let the sword drop. When the sword falls the tip will swing in an arch shape and hit the force plate; I will record the amount of Newtons, and move on to the next wood.
5) Mathematics and Computer Science.

3 comments:

  1. You need to get a CD copy of Logger Pro from me. Please do so as soon as you can. Also, over break you need take data which means you must to learn how to use the Vernier Force plate and Logger Pro as soon as possible.

    http://www.vernier.com/products/sensors/force-sensors/fp-bta/

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing: At the end of your procedure section (#4 above) you need to include the statement: I will create an apparatus that swings each bokken the same amount so that I can control the height it falls. I will then analyze WHY a more massive bokken produces a greater force.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One last thing (really): Your project category should be Physics.

    ReplyDelete